Sunday, February 07, 2010

Chorizo

Week: 5
Ingredient: Chorizo
From: Martin’s, Harrisonburg, VA
Recipe: Jalapeño Chorizo Tacos (improvised)

I have to confess that I was totally unprepared to try something new this week. I would have gone to the grocery store yesterday, but the approximately two feet of snow we got between Friday and Saturday thoroughly ruined any weekend plans I may have had. So, I was forced to get creative with what I had on hand.

Fortunately, a couple weeks ago I bought some chorizo. I have had chorizo a few times at Mexican restaurants, but I had never tried it at home. I remember that I did not really know what I was looking for when I bought this chorizo. If I had read the Wikipedia article on chorizo beforehand, I might have been prepared to face the many kinds of chorizo they had at the grocery store. Without that knowledge, I opted for the chorizo that looked the most natural. That ruled out the ones that looked like red hot dogs and the ones with less appealing ingredient lists. In the end I selected a smoked chorizo that came in two long links.

I do not remember why I had nearly a pound of fresh jalapeños in my refrigerator, but that was also fortunate. With some leftover tortillas, it was clear to me that I would make jalapeño chorizo tacos. And so I did.

You have heard those stories where someone asks her grandmother for a special recipe, right? And, of course, there is no recipe. Grandma just throws a little of this and a little of that together, does her magic, and it comes out right. Well, that is how it was with my jalapeño chorizo tacos. I cannot tell you how I did it, but they came out great. I promise I am not trying to brag here. I am no professional chef, and I make absolutely no claims that my tacos were authentic Mexican cuisine. No, what I am saying is that it was like I was on autopilot, and at the end, there were delicious tacos. I think that means, according to the Dreyfus Model of Skill Acquisition, I am competent, and maybe even proficient, in at least some aspects of cooking. (Sorry. I just had to throw in a little geekery!)

Conclusion: Chorizo is full of fat, but what good sausage is not? It added a nice smokiness to my tacos, but its other flavors were somewhat masked by all the jalapeños and other seasonings I used. Nonetheless, I am sure it could add great flavor to many other dishes. I will definitely use chorizo again.

No comments: