Monday, March 29, 2010

Quail Eggs, Part Two

Week: 12
Ingredient: Quail Eggs
From: Great Wall Supermarket, Falls Church, VA
Recipe: Deviled Quail Eggs

My first quail egg adventure left me with a dozen eggs. After seeing the incredible cuteness of the quail eggs as Lowell Eggs (quite a feat considering the brownish color imparted by the sausage drippings), I wanted to make something even more adorable: a plate full of teeny tiny deviled eggs. I found a recipe online, and whipped up a quick batch.

They looked exactly as I had pictured they would—absolutely darling. I can just imagine a bunch of ladies oooing and ahhing over them at a baby shower. Unfortunately the flavor was a little on the boring side. I was hoping the fresh chives would enhance the flavor, but they turned out flat-tasting. I was a bit disappointed. (Next time I will use my own recipe.)

Conclusion: I do not have much to add to my prior conclusion about quail eggs. As far as I could tell, they tasted pretty much like chicken eggs. To me, the primary reason to use them is presentation. Somehow being miniature equates with being special, and there is an instant wow-factor. Maybe little and cute isn’t your thing, so I will leave you to make what you will of this list of purported benefits, straight from the package:1

Rejuvenate whole body regardless of age
Depress allergy symptoms
Enhance sexual potential
Improve heart functioning
Lower arterial blood pressure
Improves digestion and gastric acidity
Improve memory
Have positive impact on children’s growth
Lower and stabilize blood sugar level

1There was very little identification on the package, so I can only cite the distributor: QPL-LLC.

1 comment:

Danny said...

You should post a picture. Include a quarter or something for a frame of reference.