Friday, May 11, 2012

Stop and Smell the Roses

It's rose time again! This year has been especially good for my roses. 'Louise Odier' has been blooming profusely for over a week, filling the air with her scent. And 'Roseraie de L'Haÿ,' though not so profuse, has been absolutely gorgeous. I should have taken pictures when they were at their peak, but I believe that  time is now past.

Anyway, 'Frau Karl Druschki' was looking perfect this morning, and I had to stop and take a picture:

Frau Karl Druschki
Frau Karl Druschki
I love each of my roses for different reasons. What 'Frau Karl Druschki' lacks in scent (she has practically none), she makes up with her magnificent blooms. I have never seen a more a more perfect white rose from any other variety. I also love that the buds come out pink but open to purest white.

Quite a few of my other roses are about ready to burst: 'Veilchenblau,' 'Basye's Purple Rose,' Rosa gallica 'Apothecary,' and a few others. I can't wait. I also need to find a time to go out to Fulks Run and check on my roses there: 'La Reine,' 'Rose de Rescht,' and 'Suma.' Why is it so easy to take time to stop and smell the roses, but so hard to make time to mow the grass?

No comments: